Autumn Term Curriculum and Learning
Information for parents about what pupils are learning this term.
We are really pleased with the super start that the children have made to the new school year. There are fantastic topics planned for this term, along with some exciting visits, such as Sudbury Hall for Y1/2 and the New Walk Museum in Leicester for Y3/4. Y6 are starting the year with an adventurous residential visit at PGL Caythorpe and our new Reception pupils will be learning cycling skills while doing Balanceability.
Below are the Big Questions and links to curriculum newsletters for parents with details of what the children will be learning this term.
- Year 5/6 – Upper Key Stage 2 – How has Grantham changed since our school was built? Why were the romans so powerful and what can we learn from them?
- Year 3/4 – Lower Key Stage 2 – Were the Egyptians Awesome?
- Year 1/2 - Key Stage 1 – Are games consoles more fun than Grandma and Grandad’s old toys?
- Reception Curriculum Newsletter and Welcome Letter
Using ClassDojo, the teachers will also share ‘knowledge organisers’ which set out the key knowledge and vocabulary that pupils will learn in each topic. We hope that, over the topic, parents will look at these with their child (perhaps even test them on what they have learned occasionally) to help this knowledge stick in the children’s minds so they recall it long after the topic has ended.
Class assemblies are on Thursdays at 9am and led by classes as follows:
- Dahl – 26th September
- Defoe – 3rd October
- Carroll – 10th October
- Lewis – 17th October
- Potter – 31st October
- Ahlberg– 7th November
- Year 1 – 14th November
- King-Smith – 21st November
- Blyton – 28th November
Here are events we are looking forward to this term:
- Y6 Residential Meeting for Parents – Monday 9th September, 6pm
- Balanceability starts for Reception – Tuesday 10th September
- Reception Reading Open Morning – Monday 16th September, 8:50am
- KS2 Harvest Festival – Thursday 19th September, 9:30am in St. Sebs.
- Infant Harvest Festival – Thursday 19th September, 11am in school
- Y6 Caythorpe PGL Residential - Monday 23rd September
- History workshops for Y5/6, Monday 30th September in school
- Individual Photos – Wednesday 9th October
- Guide Dog Visit for Y1/2 - Wednesday 9th October
- Parents’ Evenings – Tuesday 15th and Wednesday 16th October
- School Nursing Team in for Flu Vaccinations (Rec to Y5) – Wednesday 16th October
- Break up for half term – Friday 18th October
- Staff InSET Day – Monday 28th October 2019
- Pupils return to school on Tuesday 29th October
- Y3/4 Leicester Museum Visit – Monday 4th November
- Reception and KS1 Christmas performances – PM 11th and AM 12th December
- Infant Pantomime Visit – Thursday 12th December
- KS2 Christingle Service – Monday 16th December, 2pm at St. Seb’s Church
- Infant Christmas Service – Tuesday 17th December, 9:15am in school
- KS2 Christmas Sing-along - Thursday 19th December, 2pm in school
- Break up for Christmas – Thursday 19th December
Parents should also look out for an invite to their child’s class assembly this term and details of clubs their child can attend.
Parents can keep up to date with school events via the School Calendar.